Saturday 5 May 2012

Rainbow Cake

One of my pupils had a bake-off recently, to raise money for a voluntary project she's undertaking next year. This is my entry- dead simple, but looks very effective!

I made a normal Victoria Sponge recipe ad doubled it- 400g butter, 400g sugar, 400g self-raising flour, 8 eggs, 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 teaspoon of Baking Powder. I then divided this into 6 bowls and added lots of food colouring paste- they need to be vibrant colours so that when baked they still look like this-




Once  baked and cooled, I stacked the cakes together using lots of buttercream icing, which I then also used to cover the whole thing. As you can see it's a pretty tall cake-


I then decorated it with coloured sugar-covered chocolate balls and used my lettering tiles to emboss the message "Great TGA Bake Off", which i then iced over with blue writing icing-



Here's the finished cake, being sliced up and ready for sale at £2 a slice :-)


AND here's my certificate and wooden spoon for coming 2nd in the Staff section. Some raspberry and buttercream cupcakes won.


No comments: